Motorola and Google did work pretty well together, as I have fond memories of the first Motorola Droid that boasted of a solid build alongside a decent display. Well, many years down the road, here we are with a possibility that a smartwatch from Google or Motorola is not too far away from the horizon. In fact, what you see above could very well be a jointly developed timepiece that has leaked out, or at least this being a prototype of the device. According to the folks over at Android Police, what is seen here happens to be a photo of Motorola-built prototype wristwear that hailed from last year, where it was given the nickname Gem. This was meant to be an official Google device but I guess situations and circumstances have changed along the way. This particular device would be Android-powered (but of course, did we expect anything less?), where it will come with dedicated controls for fitness and voice commands.
Apart from that, there is also a “3 Bit mode” which could have been meant to help conserve battery life in the long run through the reduction of the on-screen color palette. It remains to be seen whether the Gem will live up to its namesake and actually be released, since chances are there is a need for some tweaking to be done before it is shipped to the masses. Not only that, with Lenovo having acquired Motorola Mobility recently, previous plans might ctually be shelved.
- 2014-04-14: 2012 Droid Family To Get Android 4.4 KitKat In The Near Future
- 2014-04-08: First Working Project Ara Prototype To Be Ready This Month
- 2014-04-06: Leather Could Be An Option For Next-Gen Moto X [Rumor]
- 2014-04-06: Moto X Successor Might Be Called Moto X + 1
- 2014-04-02: The Moto G Forte Is Actually The Moto G With A Grip Shell Case
- 2014-03-20: Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch, presented by Jim Wicks, Design Chief at Motorola
- 2014-03-19: Moto 360 To Feature "Secret" Charging Method
- 2014-03-18: Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch Launched, powered by Android Wear
- 2013-05-13: Google Smartwatch UI Similar To Google Glass [Rumor]
- 2010-04-20: Leaked Pictures Of Android-powered Motorola Handsets