It was back in September last year when Samsung launched its first smartwatch, the Galaxy Gear. Since then there have been many reports of dismal sales, which have apparently forced the company’s hand to launch a successor after just six months. Previously it was rumored that a new Galaxy Gear will be launched alongside Galaxy S5 at the Mobile World Congress 2014 in Barcelona later this week. However, sources familiar with the company’s plans tell The Verge that its likely Samsung will unveil multiple models of its smartwatch at the industry’s biggest event.
The sources haven’t mentioned exactly how these multiple models will be different from each other, so that’s been left up to us to speculate. There isn’t much to go on as far as the next generation Galaxy Gear is concerned, though earlier today a published report claimed that a Tizen running Galaxy Gear might be on the horizon as well. That happened to be the first mention of a Tizen powered smartwatch that we have heard up till now, and its far from being confirmed. Samsung has said in the past that Tizen powered devices will be making their way to the market soon, does the company really wants to kick off Tizen with a product that already doesn’t seem to be creating much consumer interest? Its uncertain for now, we’ll just have to wait until MWC 2014 to find out for sure.
Next Story: Meizu And BQ To Roll Out Ubuntu Smartphones
- 2014-03-13: ZTE Grand Memo 2 LTE: Video Hands-On
- 2014-03-12: HTC Desire 816, Hands-On Preview
- 2014-02-26: Best of MWC 2014 @ Ubergizmo
- 2014-02-26: WhatsApp Didn't Receive A Buyout Offer From Google
- 2014-02-26: Ubuntu Phones Will Hit The Market This Fall
- 2014-02-26: Samsung Knox 2.0: Ready For Small Businesses And Cloud Management
- 2014-02-25: PayPal To Support Fingerprint Authorization For Payments Via Samsung Galaxy S5
- 2014-02-24: Samsung Galaxy S5 Review: Hands-On
- 2014-02-23: Tizen Association Chairman Expects Phone To Be Released Later This Year
- 2014-02-22: Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 and Galaxy Gear Neo Smart Watches Launched at MWC