Grand Theft Auto 5, safe to say, was probably one of the more highly-anticipated games of 2013, given the popularity of the Grand Theft Auto franchise. The game has proven to be a huge success and according to earlier reports, the game managed to generate $800 million in sales on its first day alone, and now according to a report from Take Two, Rockstar’s parent company, they revealed that they have managed to ship over 32 million copies of Grand Theft Auto 5 as of the 31st of December 2013, which we have to say is pretty impressive.
Now we should note that number of copies shipped does not necessarily equate to the number of copies sold. These are the copies that have been sent out to retailers and if you’re wondering why is this significant, well it’s because if there is no demand, there would not be any supply, meaning that retailers are expecting to sell most of their copies (selling all might be a little unrealistic), although how much this translates into revenue remains to be seen.
It should also be noted that the 32 million figure is for Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles. Grand Theft Auto 5 for the PC has yet to be released, although rumors of a PC version have been making their way around the internet. Assuming that a PC version does launch, we expect those numbers to be much, much higher.
- 2014-04-08: Grand Theft Auto V On PC, Xbox One And PS4 This June (Rumor)
- 2014-03-18: GTA 5 For PC Beta Test Emails Are Fake And Contain Malware
- 2014-03-02: Skyfall Train Fight Scene Created In GTA 5
- 2014-02-27: Mobster's Daughter Alleges GTA 5 Used Her Story And Likeness Without Her Permission
- 2014-02-06: Rockstar Developer Tweets Hint At GTA 5 For The PC
- 2014-01-22: GTA 5 For PC Listed On Amazon France And Germany's Websites
- 2014-01-20: GTA 5 For PC Revealed In Alleged Bug Reports
- 2014-01-06: Rockstar Took A Leap Of Faith With GTA 5's Three Protagonists
- 2013-12-09: Rockstar Teases Upcoming GTA 5 Update