Sony has made it official that “late tonight” (Feb 3 2014) the Playstation 4 will receive the 1.60 firmware update which will bring support for the Pulse and Pulse Elite Edition wireless headsets in the form of proper 7.1 virtual surround sound. This will use the Pulse headsets to their fullest with games and multimedia content designed for that particular experience.
At the same time, Sony has announced the Gold Wireless Headset, a new 7.1 virtual surround sound headset that features a hidden microphone (with noise-cancellation). Unlike its name would suggest it, the Gold Wireless headset ($100) is actually less expensive than the Pulse ($150+). The new headset is of course compatible with both PS3 and PS4.
When used in conjunction with the Headset Companion App, gamers will be able to utilize special audio modes from games like inFAMOUS Second Son, along with presets for movies and multimedia apps. If you want to fine-tune your own EQ settings, that’s possible too. You can follow the Sony 1.60 firmware update on the official PS4 system updates page.
Next Story: Pebble Appstore Is Now Live
- 2014-04-13: 4J Studios Teases Minecraft For PS4, PS Vita
- 2014-04-11: Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn Allows PS3 Users To Upgrade For Free To PS4
- 2014-04-07: Xbox One Original Shows To Feature Interactive Elements
- 2014-04-04: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Beta Phase 2 Launched
- 2014-04-02: Sony PS4 Survey Hints At Possible Features
- 2013-12-06: 8-Hour PSN Maintenance Taking Place On December 9
- 2013-11-20: This Gamer's PS4 Remains Untouched After A Tornado Destroyed His Home
- 2013-11-19: Sony's $399 PS4 Costs $381 To Build [Report]
- 2013-11-18: PS4 Blue Light Of Death Fixes Suggested By Sony
- 2013-11-15: Infamous: Second Son Releasing On PlayStation 4 March 21, 2014