Prior to MWC 2014, Samsung teased that they would be making an Exynos related announcement and while these aren’t the Exynos Infinity chipsets that was teased, Samsung did announced the Exynos 5422 and the Exynos 5260 chipsets. The former will be an octa-core chipset, while the latter will be a hexa-core chipset.
So starting with the Exynos 5422, this is an octa-core chipset that will rely on the same big.LITTLE architecture that Samsung used with its Exynos chipsets that was announced back at CES 2013 last year. Th Exynos 5422 will feature four ARM Cortex-A15 cores clocked at 2.1GHz, and four smaller ARM Cortex-A7 cores clocked at 1.5GHz. According to Samsung, the new chipset will be able to perform 34% better than its predecessor.
Next up is the Exynos 5260 hexa-core chipset. This was actually revealed in the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Neo and will feature two 1.7GHz A15 cores, and four 1.3GHz A7 cores. Both the Exynos 5422 and 5260 will support high-resolution displays, including QHD (2560×1440) and WQXGA (2560×1600).
Also the fact that the Exynos 5422 will only enter into production this quarter, it could actually be in time for the octa-core Galaxy S5’s release, while at the same time corroborating earlier rumors that a QHD version of the Galaxy S5 will be released after the Full HD model. Of course there’s no proof to suggest that a QHD Galaxy S5 is in the works, so try not to get your hopes up just yet.
- 2014-04-18: Samsung And Swiss Federal Railways Work Out An Agreement
- 2014-04-18: Samsung’s Milk Music To Cost $4 Monthly For Ad-Free Experience
- 2014-04-17: Trade-In Site Sees One Third Of Galaxy S5 Buyers Switching From iPhone
- 2014-04-17: Galaxy S5 Review
- 2014-04-17: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2013-12-27: Samsung Teases Exynos Announcement For CES 2014
- 2013-02-21: Galaxy S4 Delay Due To Exynos 5 Issues?
- 2013-01-18: Alleged Samsung Galaxy S4 Spotted In Benchmarks With 8-Core Exynos 5 Chipset
- 2013-01-17: Samsung Exynos 5 Octa Specs & Details
- 2013-01-16: Samsung Exynos Exploit Fix Pushed