As we’re sure many of you guys have heard by now, BlackBerry has filed a lawsuit against Ryan Seacrest’s company, Typo Products, whom they claim infringed upon the design of their trademark BlackBerry QWERTY keyboard. As you can see in the image above, we’re sure many will find it hard to deny that the keyboard’s design is reminiscent of the BlackBerry keyboard which has become something of a signature look for the Canadian company. However as we have heard in the past, just because it looks similar it does not mean that it is a slam dunk case as there are a lot of other factors to take into consideration.
However in the meantime, Typo Products has since asked the federal court judge presiding over the case to dismiss all the claims in BlackBerry’s complaint with prejudice, which essentially means that BlackBerry will not be able to claim copyright infringement again in the future over the same matter. One of the reasons that Typo claims is cause for dismissal is because one of the patents in BlackBerry’s claims isn’t valid, due to the design being available for sale since 1988 which was before BlackBerry’s own patent was approved. We’re not sure if the courts will be so ready to dismiss the case, but we’ll definitely be keeping our eyes and ears peeled for more information.
- 2014-04-21: BlackBerry Classic Pegged For November Release
- 2014-04-20: BlackBerry's CEO "Really Likes" The Idea Tablet
- 2014-04-20: BlackBerry 10.3 Early Build Shown Off On Video
- 2014-04-16: BlackBerry 10.2.1 Software Update Hits Q10 And Z10
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry And NantHealth Team Up For Healthcare-Specific Smartphone
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Pushing For Immediate Ban Of Typo Keyboard Sales
- 2014-03-25: BlackBerry Sues Its SVP Of Software Into Staying Another Four More Months Before Leaving For Apple
- 2014-03-24: Judge Validates Two Of BlackBerry's Patents In Typo Lawsuit
- 2014-02-06: Typo Submits Argument For Ongoing Lawsuit With BlackBerry
- 2014-01-07: Former Director Of US Patent And Trademark Office Weighs In On BlackBerry-Typo Lawsuit