For those who build their own computers, chances are you are aware that Western Digital sells hard drives for computers that are available in different “colors”. For example there’s Western Digital Green, Black, and Blue, with Green indicating hard drives that use less energy, while Black refers to hard drives focused on performance.
Well for those looking to put together something more reliable and durable, Western Digital has announced the availability of their Purple lineup, a series of hard drives that are not only high-capacity, but have also been designed or video surveillance units or other applications that might require reliability.
The Western Digital Purple hard drives will be available in 1TB-4TB storage options. It will feature improved areal density with Advanced Format Technology that will attempt to maximize storage per platter. To ensure compatibility, Western Digital has also worked with surveillance companies to ensure that their hard drives are compatible with most surveillance systems.
The hard drives are currently available through distributors and resellers, with a suggested retail price for the 1TB model set at $90, the 2TB model at $120, the 3TB model at $160, and for those who want the 4TB model, they can expect to fork out $200.
- 2014-03-28: WD's My Passport Pro Is A Portable Thunderbolt Hard Drive
- 2014-02-25: Western Digital's Purple Hard Drives Begin Shipping
- 2013-11-01: Western Digital Warns About Potential Data Loss With OS X Mavericks
- 2013-10-02: Western Digital’s My Cloud Makes Network Storage Easy
- 2013-06-03: WD Blue Is World's Thinnest 1TB Hard Drive Measuring 7mm Thick
- 2013-05-15: Western Digital Introduces My Passport Ultra Portable HDD With Dropbox Integration