Nintendo’s Wii U console can hardly be considered the hottest selling console at the moment. In fact we’d be surprised if Nintendo were to ever nab that title one day. Perhaps it is the lack of titles, and perhaps it is the slow releases of first-party titles, but whatever the case is, the console is definitely not on the same level as the PS4 or the Xbox One.
The good news is that while the console will not be overtaking Sony or Microsoft’s next-gen consoles, we guess Nintendo fans can take solace in knowing that as far as prev-gen consoles are concerned, like the Xbox 360, it turns out that the Wii U’s lifetime sales has managed to overtake that of the Xbox 360’s in Japan.
This is according to the latest Media Create Japanese chart figures which shows that the Wii U’s lifetime sales is currently at 1,643,095 in Japan, which has allowed it to barely edge past the Xbox 360. It should be noted that this chart differs from other charts which have been released, like the one from Famitsu, so we guess it depends on which chart you’d rather believe.
Of course these numbers are only for Japan, but we guess that Nintendo has to start somewhere, right? Either way with first-party titles like Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. expected to see a release this year, perhaps we might see more interest for the Wii U then, but until then a minor victory is still a victory nonetheless!
- 2014-04-03: Mario Kart 8 Will Run At 30fps With 3-4 Players
- 2014-04-01: EA Apologizes To Nintendo For "Unacceptable" Wii U Joke
- 2014-03-24: Redbox May Offer PS4, Xbox One And Wii U Rentals Soon
- 2014-03-24: Over 50 Unity Titles Developed For The Wii U
- 2014-03-17: Japan To Get New Wii U Bundle
- 2014-03-06: Mario Kart 8 Limited Edition Revealed
- 2014-02-27: Fable Creator Calls The Wii U Awkward And Clumsy