Microsoft is yet to provide a date for Windows Phone 8.1 release, but word on the street is that the next major platform update could be rolled out to the public between July and August, later this year. Recently there has been a lot of talk about WP8.1, seeing as how a SDK or Software Development Kit leak has lead to quite a lot of its features being made public. Earlier today we reported on these features once again, WP8.1 is expected to bring support for custom backgrounds and Miracast, among other improvements.
The Windows Phone 8.1 release time frame is provided by a published report originating from China, citing a source that has knowledge of Microsoft’s plans. The report claims that developer preview of Windows Phone 8.1 will be rolled out to developers with an App Studio account by April. It is also claimed that when between July and August Windows Phone 8.1 is finally released, a new crop of WP smartphones will also be released to capitalize on the revamped OS. Names of manufacturers expected to develop these smartphones are not provided, so its unclear exactly what companies will be launching new WP phones around this time, if they actually have any plans of doing so at all.
Next Story: HTC M8 Leaked Image Hints At Shiny Metallic Back
- 2014-04-23 Remote Desktop Preview App For Windows Phone 8.1 Released
- 2014-04-21 Downgrade Windows Phone 8.1 To 8.0 Possible
- 2014-04-17 Xbox Music Update For Windows Phone 8.1 Coming Next Week
- 2014-04-15 Clippy Lives On As Cortana Easter Egg In Windows Phone 8.1
- 2014-04-07 Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview Coming 'First Part Of April'