Subscription services like PS Plus and Xbox Live Gold offer games access to extra functions and features of their consoles, namely online multiplayer games and such. This is a great feature for gamers who love online games, but maybe not so much for gamers who prefer playing single player games. However if you were thinking as to whether a subscription to Xbox Live Gold might be worth it, you might be interested to learn that according to a post by Microsoft’s very own Larry “Major Nelson” Hyrb, it seems that Xbox Live Gold will be going free of charge this weekend.
According to his post, “The Free Gold Weekend begins at 12:01 a.m. PT time this Friday 14, February and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on Sunday 16, February.” Unfortunately this deal appears to be limited to those living in the US and Canada, so if you’re living overseas and wanted to cash in on this deal, well you’d be out of luck. So for those who weren’t subscribers before, this means that for just this weekend, you will be able to experience some of the features of Xbox Live Gold that Microsoft is probably hoping you will turn into an ongoing subscription, but even if you have no intentions, it’s still a pretty good deal and a great way to spend the weekend, no?
- 2014-04-08: Xbox Head Phil Spencer Doesn't Think Microsoft Will Dump It
- 2014-04-08: HBO Offering Xbox Users Free Access To Game Of Thrones' Premiere
- 2014-04-07: Microsoft Working On Original Content For The Xbox
- 2014-03-31: Phil Spencer Takes Over Microsoft's Xbox Division
- 2014-03-20: Microsoft Plans On Rewarding Positive Behavior On Xbox Live