Pull up search results for an app in the Google Play Store and compare them with results from Apple’s App Store, the difference is evident. Apple strictly enforces a set of guidelines and doesn’t list an app on the App Store unless the criteria is met. Google is relatively open about listing apps on the Play Store, the consequence is obviously a huge number of low quality apps. Some apps even have malware, while others are riddled with deceptive or misleading ads. Google has now made amendments to its Google Play Developer Program Policy, clearly telling developers the kind of content their apps can display.
These changes have been made to protect users from apps that contain deceptive ads, or those which partake in other shady behaviors. Major changes mean that developers no longer being allowed to run unsolicited promotions via SMS, promotions through deceptive ads on websites, apps or notifications as well as use install tactics that redirect to Google Play or lead to an app download without user action.
Developers are now also warned against ad content being displayed inside their apps. Ads are not simulate or impersonate the user interface of any app, notification or even the warning elements of an operating system. Users must be clear to which app each ad is associated with or implemented in.
Next Story: Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 Images Leaked
- 2014-04-10: Square Considered By Google And Apple For Purchase Before
- 2014-04-10: Chrome Beta For Android Updated
- 2014-04-10: Confirmed: Google Glass Will Be Sold To The Public On 15th April
- 2014-04-10: Google Expands Security Services For Android
- 2014-04-10: 72 Percent Of People Surveyed Against Google Glass Due To Privacy
- 2014-04-04: Play Store Updated With "People" Section, Shows Apps Recommended By Friends
- 2014-03-30: Google Moves To Remove All Erotic Content From Play Store
- 2014-03-28: Fake Google Apps Hit The Windows Phone Store
- 2014-02-27: Google Hangouts App Updated For iOS 7
- 2014-02-20: Google Reportedly Offered WhatsApp More Than $19bn In Last-Ditch Effort