Its no secret that Apple Maps didn’t exactly get off to a good start. There were many problems with the company’s mapping service from the get go, users were inconvenienced so much so that the company apologized and promised that it would do a better job, while recommending alternatives to its homegrown mapping service. Apple Maps was introduced with iOS 6, it replaced Google Maps that had been the sole mapping service since the very first days of the iPhone. Apple Maps was improved to an extent in iOS 7, but a new report claims that radical changes are going to be made to Maps for iOS 8.
The company’s top leadership, CEO Tim Cook as well as SVPs Eddy Cue and Craig Federighi is said to be involved in the major overhaul of Apple Maps for iOS 8. While iOS 7 brought many cosmetic changes, it is believed that Maps for iOS 8 won’t get such a thorough makeover, but it will be heavily tweaked under the hood. The company is apparently focusing on improving its accuracy and reliability.
It is also claimed that public transit directions will also be included in Maps for iOS 8, allowing users to find bus, train and subway transit directions. Initially the feature may only be available in select cities but over time it will be expanded to include other cities and towns as well. Public transit directions is a crucial feature, one that already exists on its rival Google Maps, which is now available for iOS as a standalone application.
Last but not the least, Maps for iOS 8 is expected to bring more points of interest, making it easier for users to find interesting information. Apple is expected to unveil iOS 8 at the Worldwide Developers Conference 2014, which will take place this Summer.
- 2014-04-09: Apple Reportedly Testing Map Notifications To Inform Users Of Fixed Problems
- 2014-03-17: iOS 8 Healthbook App Might Break New Ground In Mobile Fitness Tracking
- 2014-03-16: iOS 8 To Make Notification Center Simpler, Kill Game Center App [Rumor]
- 2014-03-13: iOS 8 Screenshots Spotted (Rumor)
- 2014-03-12: iOS 8 Might Bring iTunes Radio As A Separate App
- 2014-03-11: Maps For iOS 8 To Come With Radical Improvements [Report]