Back in February during MWC 2014, Nokia took the wraps off a trio of Android handsets called the Nokia X, Nokia X+, and the Nokia XL. All three devices weren’t high-end by any means, but were considered to be low-mid ranged, but that’s not a bad thing since this would essentially allow Nokia to compete with the likes of Samsung who has a slew of low-end handsets as well.
Interestingly enough despite the hype and anticipation, Nokia revealed that the Nokia X handset would not be seeing a release in key markets like the US, Canada, Japan, and South Korea. Instead it would be launching in countries such as Malaysia and China, just to name a few.
However it seems that Nokia made the right call because according to reports, the Nokia X is quite a hit in China.
According to a post on Nokia’s official Weibo account, the company has posted the image above which is basically Nokia boasting that they have managed to nab 1 million pre-orders for the Nokia X to date. The handset had gone up for pre-order a few days ago where it was priced at 599 yuan which is around $97 when converted.
This is a tad more expensive than Malaysia’s version of the Nokia X which is around $121, but then again different countries probably have different taxes and regulations that could have factored into its costs.
Of course the hype could simply be for a Nokia phone running on Android which is a little bit of a novelty, so we guess we’ll just have to wait and see if this run of popularity continues even after the phone has been launched.
- 2014-04-16: Early Nokia Prototype Tablet From 2001 Gets Pictured
- 2014-04-16: Nokia Lumia 1020 Used To Document Underwater Diving Mission
- 2014-04-16: Nokia Lumia 630 Dual SIM Increases Your Versatility
- 2014-04-14: Upcoming Nokia Device Codenames Leaked
- 2014-04-13: Nokia Monarch Could Be T-Mobile's Lumia 635
- 2014-04-09: Nokia X Custom Android ROM Revealed
- 2014-04-08: China's Ministry Of Commerce Gives Microsoft-Nokia Deal The Greenlight
- 2014-03-23: Nokia X Production Reportedly Moved From India To China
- 2014-03-20: WhatsApp And Instagram On The Nokia X
- 2014-03-17: Nokia XL And X+ Sports Pre-loaded 4GB microSD Card