One of the reasons why Sony managed to price their PlayStation 4 console cheaper than the Xbox One ($399 versus $499) is because they did not bundle the PlayStation Camera together with the console. This is compared to Microsoft who sold the Xbox One together with the Kinect, which resulted in it being slightly pricier.
It seems that Sony might have underestimated the demand for the PlayStation Camera because according to Sony’s Chris Norden, he revealed during GDC 2014 that supply of the PlayStation 4 camera is severely constrained.
Norden affirms that Sony had underestimated the demand for the accessory and revealed that the camera had an attach rate of 15%, which is about 900,000 units since the PlayStation 4 has been estimated to have sold 6 million units to date.
As it stands it seems that trying to find stock of the PlayStation Camera via retailers is proving to be pretty hard, but Norden is asking PlayStation 4 owners to remain patient as Sony works to get more units available for gamers. The camera is priced at $60 although interestingly enough, GameStop has recently raised the price of the device to $70, presumably to cash in on the demand and the shortage of units available at the moment. We guess if you wanted to get your hands on the accessory and you don’t mind paying the extra $10, why not, but if you can wait, we expect other retailers should be honoring the $60 price tag once more units have been made available.
- 2014-04-14: Sony Xperia Z2 Pre-Orders Reopened In Europe
- 2014-04-11: Sony Vaio Fit 11A Recall Because Of Battery Overheating Risk
- 2014-04-11: Sony Unveils H1Z1, Upcoming Zombie MMO Title
- 2014-04-10: Sony A7s Priced In The UK At £2,500 Body-Only
- 2014-04-08: Improved PS Vita In Borderlands 2 Bundle Hits The US This May 6
- 2014-04-07: Xbox One Original Shows To Feature Interactive Elements
- 2014-04-04: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Beta Phase 2 Launched
- 2014-04-02: Sony PS4 Survey Hints At Possible Features
- 2014-04-01: Sony Japan To Get Limited Edition Final Fantasy XIV PS4 Bundle
- 2014-03-30: Sony Announces Over 1,000 Developers Licensed To Self-Publish On PS4