Windows Phone 8.1 was unveiled during Microsoft’s BUILD conference and it’s one of the major Windows Phone 8 updates that will be released in a while. However according to the folks at Windows Phone Central, they have learnt that Microsoft actually has a couple more updates pertaining to Windows Phone 8.1 that they are planning on releasing later this year.
Just like with Android or iOS, where you get the main build like Android 4.4 or iOS 7, you also get smaller updates that addresses bugs, adds new tweaks or new features that will bump its version to Android 4.4.1 or iOS 7.1 and so on, and these updates reportedly planned for Windows Phone 8.1.
Windows Phone Central reports that there will be two GDR updates that will see a release later this year, followed by a third GDR update that will be pushed out in 2015 before the next major OS revision which they claim will be codenamed “Threshold”. Like we said it’s not surprising that Microsoft would more updates planned since they have no idea how the general public will react to Windows Phone 8.1.
According to Windows Phone Central, the first GDR update is expected to see a release in mid-2014, while GDR2 could possibly see a release in November/December, which is around the same time as Update 3 for Windows Phone 8 back in 2013. In any case we’re not sure what kind of changes will be brought to the table but we’ll definitely be keeping our eyes peeled for more info.
- 2014-04-14: Windows Phone 8.1 Preview Version Revealed
- 2014-04-14: Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview Could Be Released Today [Rumor]
- 2014-04-13: Microsoft Looks Into 3D Face Scanner Using Windows Phone Handset
- 2014-04-10: Age Of Empires: World Domination Greets iOS, Android And Windows Phone Platforms This Year
- 2014-04-08: Sony Windows Phone Device Expected This July