Colorado’s first marijuana vending machine was rolled onto the patio at Montana’s Smokehouse in Avon yesterday. It not in use just yet, it will be installed today, one full week before 4/20. Its certainly not the only machine of its kind, pot vending machines have been around for quite some time in the U.S., particularly in California. However, there’s a difference. Consumers can access this vending machine, whereas in California they can only be installed in medical dispensaries behind counters, and only “budtenders” have access.
Even though its accessible to the masses, there is a catch. Only medical marijuana cardholders will be able to access the goods within, the machine will scan and verify valid ID, so recreational users are out of luck. Cardholders can just walk up to the machine at any time of the day and get the goods.
Stephen Shearin, COO of Tranzbyte, which is American Green’s parent company, believes that the pot vending machine will be good for shy folk. They’ll be easily able to purchase marijuana legally and wouldn’t have to go out of their comfort zones. He compares it to automated checkouts at the market, “not for everyone, but for those who use it, they love it.” The vending machine is going to be officially installed today.
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry And NantHealth Team Up For Healthcare-Specific Smartphone
- 2014-04-15: Pressure Sensors Could Help Ease Amputees’ Pain
- 2014-04-14: Google Micro Camera System To Usher In Next-Gen Contact Lenses
- 2014-04-14: Goggles Can Spot Cancer Cells
- 2014-04-13: Surgeon Finds Google Glass Indispensable In His Work