Gone are the days when you hear a song on radio or in public and wonder, “What’s the name of that song/Who sang that?” This is thanks to apps such as Shazam and SoundHound that offers the ability to listen to songs and identify them based on their sound waves. However these are third-party apps meaning that users will need to download the app in order to use it.
Now thanks to a report by Bloomberg, it seems that Apple might be interested in making song identification a native feature in iOS 8. The report claims that Apple plans to partner up with Shazam to create a song identification feature that could see itself debut in iOS 8, much like how Yahoo’s Weather and Stock news come preinstalled on iOS devices by default, although we’re not sure what Shazam’s integration will look like.
We have heard the rumors suggesting that Apple could be looking to revamp its iTunes Store and given that Shazam can not only identify songs by television shows and other media, it is possible that by integrating Shazam into iOS 8, it will allow users another method/channel in which they will be able to purchase that song or television show that they have just identified.
Neither Apple nor Shazam have commented on this potential deal yet and we doubt that either company would be very eager to disclose it at this point in time, so take it with a grain of salt for now. Apple is also expected to debut iOS 8 at WWDC 2014 which is taking place later this June, so perhaps we will find out more about the upcoming update then. In the meantime what do you guys think about this potential feature?
- 2014-04-16: iOS 8 Could Feature Built-In Song Identification Thanks To Shazam [Rumor]
- 2014-03-17: iOS 8 Healthbook App Might Break New Ground In Mobile Fitness Tracking
- 2014-03-16: iOS 8 To Make Notification Center Simpler, Kill Game Center App [Rumor]
- 2014-03-13: iOS 8 Screenshots Spotted (Rumor)
- 2014-03-12: iOS 8 Might Bring iTunes Radio As A Separate App
- 2014-03-11: Maps For iOS 8 To Come With Radical Improvements [Report]
- 2013-12-19: Shazam For iPhone Updated, Now It Is Always Listening
- 2013-05-30: Shazam Windows Phone 8 App Launched
- 2013-02-25: Shazam Passes 300 Million Worldwide Users Mark
- 2012-09-17: Shazam recognizes any TV program or channel