According to a new report today, an unidentified woman flying from Beijing to Melbourne last month suffered bad burns on her face and hand after the battery-operated headphones that she was wearing exploded on her face mid-flight. The accident reportedly took place on February 19th. She told the Australian Transport Safety Bureau that she was listening to music when the explosion took place.

She probably wouldn’t have expected the battery-operated headphones to explode on her face. “As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face. I just grabbed my face, which caused the headphones to go around my neck,” she said.

Flight attendants jumped into action and got the situation under control by pouring a bucket of water over the headphones. The battery and cover had melted by then and were stuck to the floor.

The ATSB’s assessment is that the batteries are at fault here, however, it didn’t identify the company that made those headphones.

You can see in the image that it isn’t a pleasant sight at all and you certainly wouldn’t want this to ever happen to you or anyone else.

The fact remains that all batteries have stored energy and remain a potential risk which is why manufacturers test their batteries extensively to ensure that this possibility of this happening remains very, very slim.

Filed in Gadgets. Read more about Headphones and Social Hit.

User Comments