With many MMORPGs going the free-to-play route in order to attract more players, one has to wonder if such a model would ever be adopted by Blizzard and used for their highly successful and wildly popular MMORPG, World of Warcraft. For those who don’t wish to pay $14.99 a month as a subscription fee and were hoping that Blizzard would take the free-to-play route with WoW soon, you’re out of luck as Blizzard’s senior game producer, John Lagrave, stated that the current subscription model “works well for us”.
However this is not to say that Blizzard will completely rule out the possibility of a free-to-play model. According to Lagrave, “If we went [free-to-play], do you make a ton more money? Maybe. Do you burn out players? Probably [...] I’m not saying we’re never going free-to-play; we do that with the trial right now. But we’re really happy with the subscription model. We’re doing really well.”
In the mean time, what do you guys think? Do you think Blizzard should turn to the free-to-play model to prevent their player base from diminishing, and as a player, how would you feel about such a model?
- 2014-04-16: Warlords Of Draenor Might Not Require You To Upgrade Your Computer
- 2014-04-11: World Of Warcraft's Choppers Are About To Be Made A Reality
- 2014-04-08: Warlords Of Draenor New Tauren Animations Shown Off
- 2014-04-03: World Of Warcraft: Warlords Of Draenor Enters Alpha Testing Phase
- 2014-03-13: Warlords Of Draenor Will Be Released By The End Of The Year