It was only yesterday that we reported on how Baidu’s Cloud OS is expected to debut this week, and thanks to a leaked photo, it seems that we have managed to catch a glimpse of the operating system and its accompanying handset ahead of time. The good news is that if you thought that Baidu’s Cloud OS platform had potential, the company has since come forward and has officially unveiled the new operating system, its features along with new hardware. Dubbed the “Cloud Smart Terminal” platform, the device that was pictured yesterday is the Foxconn-built Changhong H5018.
Confirming the leaked information, the H5018 will cost RMB1,000 (~$150) and feature voice recognition capabilities (which we assume will make its way into future Cloud Smart Terminal devices), 100GB of cloud storage data on Baidu’s Netdrive, the Chinese search engine’s answer to cloud storage services like Dropbox and the recently announced Google Drive. Other specs include a 3.5” display, 3G connectivity, a 3MP camera and will be able to access Baidu’s upcoming Cloud Store, a dedicated app store that is expected to provide access to a “huge range” of apps that will cater to the masses. More information about the H5018 and Baidu’s Cloud Smart Terminal platform can be found in the company’s press release.
- 2014-03-28: Baidu Achieves Victory In U.S. Lawsuit Concerning Censored Search Results
- 2013-04-04: Microsoft Reportedly Launching Its Google Glass Rival In 2014
- 2013-04-03: Baidu Confirms That It Is Developing Google Glass Rival
- 2013-04-02: Baidu Developing Its Google Glass Rival Called Eye
- 2012-08-09: Baidu Maps arrives as Windows Phone app