Video games have already started to outearn movies for some time already, and just in case you need more proof, here we are with word that Black Ops 2 has earned more dough compared to Black Ops 1 and Modern Warfare 3 – in fact, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 managed to pull in over $500 million in revenue, and this magical figure was achieved during the first 24 hours after it has gone on sale. This also meant that the total Call of Duty sales have also surpassed previously untouchable box office takings of the whole Harry Potter and Star Wars movie franchises.
Activision Blizzard CEO, Bobby Kotick, said, “With first day sales of over half a billion dollars worldwide, we believe Call of Duty is the biggest entertainment launch of the year for the fourth year in a row.” Modern Warfare 3 did not fare too shabbily itself, where it was tipped to have moved 6.5 million units while raking in $400 million worth of revenue, all within the first 24 days of going on sale. We still have no idea on how many actual Black Ops 2 units were sold, so hopefully Activision will release the official figure in due time. Were you one of those who contributed to Activision’s coffers?
Next Story: Wii U TVii App Gets US December Launch
- 2014-02-12: Sledgehammer's Call Of Duty's Visuals To Be Huge Improvement Over Ghosts
- 2014-02-06: Call Of Duty Franchise To Get 3 Year Dev Cycle
- 2013-08-08: Black Ops II: Origins Teaser Depict A Robot
- 2013-04-25: PC, PS3 To Get Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2 Uprising This May 16th
- 2013-02-13: Revolution DLC For Call of Duty: Black Ops II Released
- 2012-12-05: Black Ops II Hits $1 Billion Milestone
- 2012-11-16: Black Ops 2 Earns $500 Million In A Day
- 2011-03-15: Call of Duty: Black Ops is the best selling game of all time in the US
- 2010-12-21: Call of Duty: Black Ops breaks $1 billion sales mark
- 2010-08-13: Activision announces Prestige Edition for Call of Duty: Black Ops