The iTunes Music Store was launched back in 2003 and it has grown substantially since that day. A decade later iTunes Store is the go to place for millions who want to download music, movies, TV shows and apps. It ended up selling 1 million songs in the first week, approximately 25 million songs were downloaded in 2003 alone. Fast forward to February 26, 2013 and on this day the iTunes Store set a new record of selling its 25 billionth song. Earlier this year the 40 billionth app was downloaded from iTunes App Store. The Store celebrates its tenth anniversary on April 28th and to celebrate that Apple has launched an interactive timeline which details all of the achievements made over the past decade.
The timeline lists iTunes Store milestones year by year, these include hardware announcements, musical touchstones and song downloads. Top selling albums and songs of a particular year are also listed. The list of achievements in 2013 is obviously not that long, but the iTunes Store has reached some significant milestones this year, such as the 25 billionth song and 40 billionth app download. This interactive timeline can be viewed by clicking here.
Next Story: NOOK Color Gets CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies
- 2014-04-11: Apple Reportedly Blocking Music Rivals From Purchasing iAds
- 2014-04-11: Leaked iPhone Cases Reveal New Button Cut Outs
- 2014-04-11: SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition Arrives For Mac
- 2014-04-11: High Definition Audio Files Coming To iTunes In June [Rumor]
- 2014-04-10: Square Considered By Google And Apple For Purchase Before