Earlier today, Sony Ericsson published an announcement on its regional sites saying that the Android Gingerbread update is ready to be downloaded for its Xperia X10 phones. But after many people tried to update their X10 phones and realized that there was no update (they received messages telling them that their phone was up to date) they figured something was wrong.
Well the head of product PR at SE posted an official announcement on the Sony Ericsson blog explaining the whole situation. The information about the Gingerbread announcement was apparently prematurely released – which means that there is no official update for the phone yet. However, the folks at XDA developers claim that it will be released in Europe this Friday.
Unfortunately this update, which brings Facebook integration, mobile hotspot capabilities, photo widgets, app tray sorting and more, will not be available to carrier-branded versions of the phone i.e. the AT&T Xperia X10. However, there is a workaround for X10 users to “unbrand” their phone – something that they’ll need to do in order to get this Sony Ericsson update since AT&T won’t be pushing out this update for the phone.
- 2013-03-01: Sony Ericsson Windows Phone Jolie Prototype Arrives On eBay
- 2012-07-13: Sony to maintain Sony Ericsson logo for a while more?
- 2012-06-04: Sony Ericsson "Julie" Windows Phone prototype spotted in video
- 2012-03-09: Sony Ericsson Windows Phone prototype up for grabs on eBay
- 2012-02-23: Ice Cream Sandwich beta ROM available for Sony Xperia phones
- 2011-10-28: Sony Ericsson to roll out Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread updates for Xperia devices globally
- 2011-10-21: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 to stop receiving updates
- 2011-07-29: Gingerbread officially released for the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
- 2011-03-25: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 to get Gingerbread update - at long, long last
- 2010-10-29: Sony Ericsson to offer Android 2.1 for X10 range at long last