Remember earlier today we wrote that Dish Network was going to announce something related to “a stream come true”? At 1PM ET today, Dish Network unveiled what it had in store using Blockbuster’s brand name and it’s called the Blockbuster Movie Pass. Available for Dish Network subscribers, it offers a whole package of DVDs, Blu-ray, and Games in the mail. 3,000 streaming movies for your TV set and unlimited in-store disc exchanges, as well as 20 premium movie channels on your Dish Network box.
The service will be integrated right into the Dish set-top box UI, so there’s no need to replace any hardware. The Blockbuster Movie Pass service will cost existing Dish customers an additional $10 a month and new customers will get one year for free with the $40/month America’s Top 200 package. The service will be launching on October 1st, which is only one week away. As for non-Dish subscribers, something is in the works.
It sure sounds like a great deal – for people who would like to make use of all those features, and it will probably entice some non-Dish subscribers to join the service as well. But I guess we’ll just have to wait to see what Dish has in store for non-Dish subscribers to see how it holds up against the competition. What do you think of it so far?
- 2013-12-12: Remaining UK Blockbuster Stores To Shut Down
- 2013-11-08: Blockbuster Ending In-Store Movie Rentals On November 9
- 2013-11-06: Blockbuster Shutting Its Last 300 Stores As It Exits U.S. Retail Market
- 2013-03-24: Blockbuster UK Finds Buyer, Half Of Stores To Close
- 2013-02-22: FOX Attempting To Ban Dish Network's Hopper 'On The Go' Feature
- 2013-01-22: Blockbuster Continues To Struggle As It Closes 300 U.S. Stores
- 2011-09-23: Blockbuster to take on Netflix with a streaming service
- 2011-04-06: Blockbuster to be acquired by Dish Network