Sony Ericsson is not exactly known for being the fastest kid on the block when it comes to introducing the latest operating system version on their range of smartphones, but could a change of heart be imminent? It seems that Sony Ericsson recently confirmed that their current generation Xperia line-up will be getting Android 4.0, or better known as Ice Cream Sandwich.
A representative from the London-based phone manufacturer has stepped forward to say that its 2011 Xperia smartphones will all feature Android Ice Cream Sandwich support, but there is still no confirmed date as to when that update will roll out, although the streets have whispered that ‘October or November’ would be good months.
Having said that, does this mean features such as peer-to-peer NFC functionality and the ability for Android phones to function as USB hubs in order to connect to external devices will also be made available to Sony Ericsson’s select handsets? Only time will tell, but we find it rather strange that not all Sony Ericsson’s Xperia line-up have been upgraded to Android 2.3.4 just yet, so before Ice Cream Sandwich, that must happen first.
Last but not least, it seems that the Sony Ericsson representative at a London press event might have made a mistake – Sony Ericsson themselves claim that they did not make any official decision to update its 2011 Xperia phones to Android 4.0. Now that’s more true to form of Sony Ericsson…
Next Story: Ex-girlfriend called 65,000 times in a year
- 2013-03-01: Sony Ericsson Windows Phone Jolie Prototype Arrives On eBay
- 2012-07-13: Sony to maintain Sony Ericsson logo for a while more?
- 2012-06-04: Sony Ericsson "Julie" Windows Phone prototype spotted in video
- 2012-03-09: Sony Ericsson Windows Phone prototype up for grabs on eBay
- 2012-02-23: Ice Cream Sandwich beta ROM available for Sony Xperia phones
- 2011-12-21: Sony Ericsson reveals their Android 4.0 update timeline
- 2011-11-28: Sony Ericsson Xperia phones: Ice Cream Sandwich by March 2012
- 2011-11-15: Sony Ericsson will upgrade 2011 Xperia portfolio to Ice Cream Sandwich
- 2011-10-20: Sony Ericsson planning to bring Ice Cream Sandwich to Xperia devices