Nintendo’s upcoming Wii U console is scheduled for a launch some time this year. While no official date of the console’s release has been outed, it seems that additional details of the console have been leaked via a document that the folks over at N-Europe have managed to get their hands on. The details pertain to the Project Cars game by Slightly Mad Studios and basically details how the developer will be taking advantage of some of the console’s features.
- Screen as primary view - I.e., allowing you to transfer play of the game between the TV and on-the-go around the house.
- Screen as secondary view - Switch between rear-view mirror, overhead map, telemetry.
- Primary input method - Drive by tilting the controller, on-screen buttons replicate the buttons/switches on a real wheel (push to toggle on/off or flip up/down).
- Secondary input method - Manage decisions in the pits (swiping through tire choices, setting fuel amount).
- Camera - personalise your profile, pose for the podium.
- Menu navigation method - Flick photos from your gallery to the TV, private chat with team-mates.
Of course we expect that different games will take advantage of the Wii U in different ways, but for those looking for examples of gameplay on the Wii U and assuming the leaked document is to be believed, this should be a pretty good indication of what to expect in Wii U games in the future. Additional tech details of the Wii U is expected to be announced at E3 this June by Nintendo, so stay tuned for the updates. In the mean time check out the Project Cars trailer in the video below.
- 2014-04-17: Nintendo Sued For Alleged Patent Infringement Over Wii U's Dual Screen Capabilities
- 2014-04-17: Box Art Hints At Mario Kart 8 Wii U Bundle
- 2014-04-15: Wii Remote Plus Controller Gets Princess Peach Theme
- 2014-04-09: DIY Nintendo 64 Portable Console
- 2014-04-09: Super Smash Bros. Has A Bunch Of Rules That Could Get You Banned
- 2014-04-03: Mario Kart 8 Will Run At 30fps With 3-4 Players
- 2014-04-01: EA Apologizes To Nintendo For "Unacceptable" Wii U Joke