The Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition is also known as Project Sputnik, where it has now gone on sale for those who are willing to fork out $1,549 for this bad boy. The asking price is $50 more expensive compared to the Windows powered version, where this model will be pre-installed with Ubuntu 12.04. The Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition is an Ubuntu Ultrabook, and it bears the hallmark of a skunkworks project in an effort to optimize the open-source operating system to run on Dell projects, while helping to create better laptops for developers.
The whole idea is to churn out a laptop meant for developers alone, with the premise that developers are the kings of IT and are the ones behind the agenda for web companies. Web companies, on the other hand, set the agenda for the entire industry. Do you agree or disagree? Well, Dell’s Project Sputnik comes with open source tools such as Profile Tool and Cloud Launcher, an Intel i5 or i7 Ivy Bridge processor, 8GB RAM and a 256GB SATA III SSD.
- 2014-04-22 Dell UP3214Q Review (UltraSharp 32 4K Monitor)
- 2014-04-09 PC Shipments See 4.4% YOY Decline, According To IDC
- 2014-04-02 Dell Latitude 12 Rugged Extreme Does Both Tablet And Notebook Dances
- 2014-03-26 Microsoft And Dell Agree To License Each Other's Patents
- 2014-03-23 Dell Venue 8 Pro Receives New BIOS Update
- 2013-03-25 Ubuntu Variant Will Be China's State-Endorsed Operating System Of Choice
- 2013-02-15 Ubuntu Mobile Developer Edition Lands On February 21
- 2012-05-11 Project Sputnik spotted running on Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook
- 2009-05-26 Dell Offers Ubuntu In Studio XPS 13
- 2009-09-24 Dell Inspiron Mini 10v Ubuntu Moblin Remix Developer Edition