Where were you during the great Netflix outage of Christmas 2012? If you were home attempting to enjoy your holiday break by attempting to access Netflix, then you know it was impossible to access its Instant Streaming service as it was completely crippled due to Amazon’s issues with their ELBs. It looks as though people who are on holiday break between today and tomorrow to celebrate the coming new year will have to go without their Netflix fix as the service has been experiencing extended outages for the majority of the day.
The reports of Netflix’s downtime have come in through a number of sources including Sitedown.co and DownRightNow, with the most vocal reports coming directly from Twitter users who were hoping to cuddle up with a good movie on their day off from work.
As of now, Netflix has yet to officially announce the downtime through their official channels, but we’ll keep an eye out for any changes throughout the day. For now, it looks like you Netflix users will have to find your entertainment elsewhere until Netflix gets over this current outage. Might we recommend YouTube?
[Update: Netflix has released this official statement in regards to today's service disruption:
“We are experiencing some technical difficulty with the Netflix DVD Web site, which as a result may not be available for all members. Our engineers are working to address this issue. Netflix streaming is not impacted.”]
- 2014-04-14: Netflix Speeds On Comcast See Massive Improvement
- 2014-04-08: Amazon Says Instant Video Has Surpassed Hulu And Apple
- 2014-04-08: Netflix 4K Streaming House Of Cards Kicks Off
- 2014-04-02: Hulu Looks To Cash In On The Binge Watching Frenzy
- 2014-04-02: Netflix Launch In France Might Hinge On A Technicality
- 2011-07-21: Netflix outage halts streaming service on select devices