I am very sure that Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s intention to be the first person to be sent into space via their fledgling space programme will be hailed with anticipation by different people all around, regardless on which side of the political divide that they are on. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was quoted by state media as saying, “I’m ready to be the first Iranian to be sacrificed by the scientists of my country and go into space.”
Somehow, I do wonder whether other countries who are not on Iran’s friend list on Facebook might secretly keep their fingers crossed that the space trip would fail with him on board, considering the rather inflammatory remarks that he had made in the past, especially those concerning wiping off Israel from the face of the earth, not to mention the kind of nuclear rhetoric that he had bandied in recent memory. Well, we do know that they have managed to send a monkey into space and back successfully recently, so why not proceed with a second monkey instead before your country’s bigwig? Cloning technology has not reached science fiction levels just yet.
- 2014-03-05: Spaceplane E93 Hopes To Take Off Soon
- 2014-02-04: ESA Sound System Could Kill A Human
- 2014-01-16: Japan To Deploy A Magnetic Net In Space To Clean Up Floating Debris
- 2014-01-12: Astronauts Receive Christmas Presents From Earth
- 2013-12-16: Solar Panels Fall Back On Origami Solution
- 2013-01-28: Iran’s Space Monkey Was Retrieved Successfully