Last week, Microsoft confirmed Windows Blue would be the next Windows update, although the company didn’t expect it to be the retail name for the planned update. It looks as though Microsoft won’t be releasing any cool-sounding updates for its Windows 8 platform as they’ll go back to their OS roots by calling it Windows 8.1.
The rumor comes from ZDNet who says a number of their sources and tipsters believe Windows Blue will just be an update to Windows 8, and not a completely new Windows platform as many have speculated in the past. A screenshot was also published this morning that appears to be a build of “Windows 8.1 Pro” whose build postdates the previously leaked one.
It seems the Surface RT will also be receiving a version of Windows Blue on its Windows RT operating system, which will also follow the same currently rumored update name of Windows RT 8.1
Whatever Microsoft decides to call Windows Blue, we’ll be hearing more about it in the coming months as the company is expected to release whatever it turns out to be this summer.
- 2014-04-01: Skype Could Feature New Chat UI For Windows Desktop
- 2014-03-26: Retina MacBook Air Rumored For Launch This Year
- 2014-03-05: 13-inch Non-Retina MacBook Pro Could Be Discontinued This Year [Rumor]
- 2014-02-21: ASUS Transformer Book Duet Might Be Killed Due To Pressure From Google [Rumor]
- 2014-02-04: Sony VAIO Brand Rumored To Be Sold To Japanese Investment Firm