We’re not sure how many of you guys remember the Motorola Defy, but in case you don’t, it’s basically an Android device by Motorola that was originally launched back in 2010. So why are we talking about a device that’s 3 years old? Well as a refresher, the Motorola Defy came with Android 2.1 Éclair preinstalled, and as it stands Android has come a long way and is now sitting at Android 4.4 KitKat, and thanks to XDA developer, Quarx, he has managed to port Android 4.4 KitKat onto the Motorola Defy, giving the handset a new lease on life, assuming any of you guys have actually bothered to keep it around and not throw it out or give it away.
At the moment the port is described to be in alpha phase, meaning that a lot of it is still not working yet and there are plenty of bugs that will not make it an ideal daily driver. According to Quarx, he expects the next build to get the camera to work, along with video playback, recording, and radio functionality just to name a few upcoming changes and improvements. Like we said we’re not sure how many of you guys have the Defy still lying around, but we guess the point is if Android developers can get Android 4.4 KitKat running on devices that are 3 years old, the excuses of OEMs and companies not to issue updates would seem a little hollow, doesn’t it? Either way for those interested in checking out the port, hit up the XDA Developers website for the details.
- 2014-04-16: Possible Redesigned Google+ App For Android Spotted
- 2014-04-15: Google Glass Android 4.4 KitKat Update Arrives
- 2014-04-15: Line Messaging App Announces New Sticons Feature
- 2014-04-13: Google Redesigning Android App Icons [Rumor]
- 2014-04-10: Age Of Empires: World Domination Greets iOS, Android And Windows Phone Platforms This Year
- 2014-03-27: New Motorola DROID Coming In Q4 2014 (Rumor)
- 2014-03-20: Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch, presented by Jim Wicks, Design Chief at Motorola
- 2012-05-14: Motorola Defy/Defy+ gets highly functional Android 4.0.4 ROM
- 2012-01-17: Motorola DEFY+ JCB edition now available in the UK
- 2011-04-21: Motorola DEFY receives Froyo update