Last week Google finally revealed that the Android 4.4 KitKat update is going to be rolled out in the near future. It has already released the Nexus 5, which is the first smartphone to run KitKat out of the box. Several existing Nexus devices will no doubt be the first ones to receive the update in the coming weeks, unfortunately, Galaxy Nexus has been left out. Google has confirmed that the Galaxy Nexus isn’t going to receive an official Android 4.4 update, a decision which has irked many Galaxy Nexus users. An online petition has been started to urge Google to reconsider, and it has gained a lot of traction.
As of this writing, the petition started by Max Duckwitz from Germany has amassed more than 14,900 signatures. Google’s justification to drop support for Galaxy Nexus is that the smartphone is over its 18 month support time, but many Galaxy Nexus owners believe otherwise. They believe that the smartphone should be supported regardless of the fact that its nearly two years old. Duckwitz says that all of the signatures and comments will be printed and sent to Android chief Sundar Pichai along with a short letter and the text of the petition. It can not be said for sure if Google will reconsider, but those who want a taste of KitKat have a couple of alternatives available. Several developers have already created custom Android 4.4 ROMs for the Galaxy Nexus, which seem to be working fine, barring a few bugs.
Next Story: Lumia 525 Picture Leaks
- 2014-04-13: Google Redesigning Android App Icons [Rumor]
- 2014-04-10: Square Considered By Google And Apple For Purchase Before
- 2014-04-10: Chrome Beta For Android Updated
- 2014-04-10: Confirmed: Google Glass Will Be Sold To The Public On 15th April
- 2014-04-10: Google Expands Security Services For Android
- 2014-02-17: Leaked Google Memo Dictates New Android Phones Must Run KitKat
- 2013-12-05: Galaxy Nexus CyanogenMod 11 Android 4.4 KitKat Stable Unofficial ROM Released
- 2013-11-18: Verizon Begins Soak Test Process For Moto X Android 4.4 Update [Rumor]
- 2013-11-05: Nexus S Gets A Custom Android 4.4 KitKat ROM Of Its Own
- 2013-11-03: Android 4.4 Verizon Galaxy Nexus Custom ROM Released