The Motorola XOOM was a tablet released by Motorola a few years ago, back in 2011 to be exact. We haven’t seen anymore tablets from Motorola in the past couple of months, neither have we heard any plans of newer XOOOM and you have absolutely no issues with it, you might be pleased to learn that the tablet will be getting an update to Android 4.4.2 KitKat! Yes, you read that right, a tablet about 3 years old will be getting an update to the latest build of Android!
Unfortunately this is not an official build from Motorola, but rather a custom ROM courtesy of XDA member, Schischu. This is an Android 4.4.2 KitKat-based OmniRom build meaning that if you haven’t rooted your Motorola XOOM tablet, you will have to do so. If you have no experience in rooting and flashing custom ROMs, this is where you’ll probably need to start doing some homework if you’d like your XOOM tablet to run the latest Android build. As it stands there are still a couple of minor issues with the build, such as the selection of alternate keyboards and audio dock volume controls, but like we said they’re minor and should not affect the overall experience.
In any case if you’d like to get started on flashing the custom ROM onto your XOOM tablet, head on over to the XDA forums for the details. For those running the WiFi-only model, you can head here; 3G models over here; and LTE models over here.
Next Story: Apple's Lucky Bag Contents Revealed
- 2014-04-18: Motorola To Introduce XT1021, XT1022 And XT1025 In May (Rumor)
- 2014-04-17: Motorola Moto G For $149 Unlocked Via Republic Wireless
- 2014-04-14: 2012 Droid Family To Get Android 4.4 KitKat In The Near Future
- 2014-04-08: First Working Project Ara Prototype To Be Ready This Month
- 2014-04-06: Leather Could Be An Option For Next-Gen Moto X [Rumor]
- 2013-08-20: Motorola Loses Xoom Branding And Court Case
- 2012-08-07: One lucky Motorola Xoom LTE user receives the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update possibly by accident
- 2012-07-25: Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean rolling out to WiFi Motorola Xoom soak testers
- 2012-07-23: Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean heads for the Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi
- 2012-07-16: Upcoming Motorola Xoom soak test suggests that Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update is imminent