Microsoft’s Windows Phone platform might not necessarily be the most popular smatphone platform at the moment, but it does have its loyal users, especially in emerging markets where we can see handsets like the Nokia Lumia 520 dominating. That being said, while in general iOS and Android are two of the more popular platforms at the moment, there are some markets in which Windows Phone is doing well, and one of them is Brazil where the IDC has recently confirmed that the Windows Phone platform has managed to overtake Apple’s iOS platform to steal the number two position.
Unfortunately despite Windows Phone having overtaken iOS in Brazil, it does not necessarily mean that the platform is catching up. The IDC reports that Android and iOS still account for over 90% of all smartphone shipments, 95.7% to be exact, in Q4 2013. Of course smartphone shipments does not necessarily translate into sales as the sales figures could always end up being significantly less than its shipping numbers, but it does indicate some level of demand. After all why would companies bother shipping to a market if there was no demand for their products, right? In the meantime what do you guys make these numbers? Is it all that surprising to see Windows Phone beat out iOS in emerging markets?
Next Story: WD My Cloud Review (2TB Model)
- 2014-04-22 iTunes App Store Now Labels Apps With In-App Purchases
- 2014-04-22 Jailbroken iOS Devices Vulnerable To Apple ID And Password Stealing Malware
- 2014-04-21 Apple And Google Reportedly Vying For Mobile Game Exclusives
- 2014-04-20 Facebook Paper App For iOS Updated
- 2014-04-20 Beats Music Embraces In-App Subscriptions To Drive Subscriber Base
- 2014-04-10 Age Of Empires: World Domination Greets iOS, Android And Windows Phone Platforms This Year
- 2013-08-23 New Windows Phone Ad Highlights The Lumia 1020's Camera Abilities
- 2013-05-22 New Foursquare Apps Released With Improved Local Search
- 2013-04-16 Android Is 'Kind Of A Mess' Says Windows Phone Chief
- 2013-02-14 Android And iOS Capture 91.1% Global Market Share