[MWC] The highlight of the Sony Ericsson press conference was the official announcement of the highly awaited “PlayStation smartphone” aka the Xperia Play. Gaming is the most popular category in the Apple app store, so Sony Ericsson made a smart move with the release of this gaming phone.
Sony Ericsson claims that the Xperia Play features great graphics performance thanks the Qualcomm Snapdragon system on a chip (SoC) that integrates the Adreno 205 graphics processor (GPU). It might not be faster than Tegra 2, but it’s hard to tell just by looking at the games and trying to decipher the frame rate.
You’ll hear a lot about “PlayStation Games”, but games on the Xperia Play will be Android games. The real added value here is the Playstation controller, many gamers are familiar with the user interface. The PlayStation store is a huge branding advantage for Sony Ericsson against potential competitive devices that could feature the same gaming controllers.
A Sony Ericsson representative showed me a demo of the Xperia Play, check out the video, the device was confirmed to ship in March at the press conference, no word on the pricing.
- 1GHz Qualcomm Scorpion processor
- 4″ touch display (480 x 854)
- Android 2.3
- Slide-out gamepad – 4 directional keys, 2 analogue touchpads, 2 shoulder buttons, 4 PlayStation buttons (Cross, Circle, Triangle, Square)
- 5.1 Megapixel Camera
- Bluetooth (stereo), Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Hotspot,
- 3.5mm audio jack
- 8GB microSD (included)
Next Story: Huawei to introduce four new devices at MWC 2011
- 2014-04-17: Xperia Z, ZL, ZR And Tablet Z Receive Android 4.4 Next Month
- 2014-03-26: Sony Xperia M Gets Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Update
- 2014-02-23: Sony Xperia M2 Mid-Range Smartphone
- 2014-02-23: Sony XPERIA Z2 Smartphone
- 2014-01-21: Sony Xperia Z Ultra Hits The FCC, Arrives As Wi-Fi Only “Tablet”
- 2011-06-27: Xperia Play Review
- 2011-01-19: PSP2 on Jan 27th and PlayStation Phone at MWC 2011?
- 2011-01-10: Xperia Play PlayStation Phone caught on video running PlayStation games
- 2011-01-04: Xperia Play PlayStation Phone sighted again
- 2010-12-21: Sony Ericsson PlayStation phone to be unveiled at MWC 2011