After the false reports of Gingerbread arriving on the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 a couple of days ago, it looks like rumors of the Friday release date have turned out to be true. Sony Ericsson has officially announced on its blog that the Android 2.3 Gingerbread update for the Xperia X10 is finally here. The update won’t be an OTA (over the air) update and has to be installed with a computer running SE’s PC companion software.
Sony Ericsson has mentioned that the update will be rolling out to non-customized handsets first, and then to customized X10s next but even then, not all customized phones will be getting the update. To circumvent the issue, you’ll need to un-brand your phone. Or you could just root the device and install a custom ROM by yourself… something that most users would’ve done by now if they really wanted Gingerbread. Anyway like they always say – better late than never, right?
- 2013-03-01: Sony Ericsson Windows Phone Jolie Prototype Arrives On eBay
- 2012-07-13: Sony to maintain Sony Ericsson logo for a while more?
- 2012-06-04: Sony Ericsson "Julie" Windows Phone prototype spotted in video
- 2012-03-09: Sony Ericsson Windows Phone prototype up for grabs on eBay
- 2012-02-23: Ice Cream Sandwich beta ROM available for Sony Xperia phones
- 2011-12-12: More photos of Sony Ericsson's Xperia Arc HD (Nozomi) surface
- 2011-11-15: Sony Ericsson Xperia arc S and Xperia neo V now available in the US
- 2011-10-28: Sony Ericsson to roll out Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread updates for Xperia devices globally
- 2011-10-21: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 to stop receiving updates
- 2011-07-27: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 doesn't have Gingerbread yet