Rugged devices tend not to have the most impressive specs in terms of hardware performance, but we’re guessing that those who require rugged devices probably aren’t too fussed about which company’s processor their device is running on and how big the camera’s sensor is. But when a rugged phone enters the Guinness World Records as the “World’s Toughest Phone”, it’s something worth checking out.
The previous record was held by the JCB Toughphone, so in order for Sonim’s XP3300 Force handset to beat the record, their handset would have to be able to survive a drop of more than 3.25m, and boy did they do it. In fact the Sonim XP3300 Force survived a very impressive drop of 25m onto solid concrete, which is a little bit taller than a 12-story building.
Well, given that we’re here talking about it, needless to say that the device is now listed in the Guinness World Records as the “World’s Toughest Phone”. Specs wise the handset is as much as one would expect from a feature phone, but in terms of ruggedness, here’s what the XP3300 Force is bringing to the table (taken from official site):
- IP-68 certification, submersible to 2 meters for 1 hour
- External speaker protected by a waterproof GORE protective vent
- MIL-810G certification for salt, fog, humidity, transport shock,and thermal shock
- Hardened rubber molded to Fiberglass casing mix by dual injection
- Rated to 2 meter drop onto concrete from any angle
- Vibration protection from 5Hz to 500Hz and shock resistant up to 4G
- Non-porous casing blocks entry of dust and micro-particles
- Operational range -20 degree Celsius to +55 degree Celsius
- Shock & scratch resistant 1.5mm thick Corning Gorilla Glass screen
- Widely spaced keys for ease of use with gloved hands
- Impact resistant up to 5J on housing and 2J of impact energy on screen (equivalent of a 4 meter drop of a 50g steel ball on the display)
Check out the video below to see the drop in action (and cringe while you expect the device to shatter upon impact).Follow:CellPhonesfeature phoneguinness world recordruggedsonicworld's toughest phonexp3300 force