Summer is over, and yes we all know that the Google TV Honeycomb update is long overdue. So where is it? Well, it’s on its way – according to Google TV Director of Content, Donagh O’Malley who recently spoke at the Connected TV panel during MIPCOM 2011. He didn’t announce why the update was delayed, but he did give an estimated time of arrival: “within the next three to four weeks.” He also mentioned that there are around 250 apps currently optimized for the new Google TV and when it finally goes live we can also expect a jump from 8 apps to 1,000 overnight.
For those not in the know, the update for Google TV introduces Android 3.1 Honeycomb to the set-top box and includes a whole bunch of new features such as USB support, hardware 3D acceleration and of course, Android Market. Well, an updated Google TV in time for the holiday should do well to help boost sales of the device. Keep those fingers crossed.
Next Story: Swype purchased for $100 million by Nuance
- 2014-04-10: Square Considered By Google And Apple For Purchase Before
- 2014-04-10: Chrome Beta For Android Updated
- 2014-04-10: Confirmed: Google Glass Will Be Sold To The Public On 15th April
- 2014-04-10: Google Expands Security Services For Android
- 2014-04-10: 72 Percent Of People Surveyed Against Google Glass Due To Privacy
- 2011-10-28: Google TV 2.0 update ready to be delivered
- 2011-10-20: Google TV update shown off in screenshots
- 2011-10-12: Google TV update one step closer to being released?
- 2011-09-14: Logitech Revue now available for $90
- 2011-05-11: Google shows off new Google TV at I/O