What’s the point of having a 3D-capable smartphone if you aren’t going to take advantage of it? The thing is, there aren’t too many 3D software making their way around these days, so looking for that killer app might be a wee bit tricky. Well, lose not your faith, as LG has started to deliver a new firmware version for the European version of the LG Optimus 3D that sports the version number V10K – making it the first to come with LG’s 3D Game Converter software.
With this firmware update, basically it enables any regular Android game to run software in stereoscopic 3D as long as it relies on OpenGL graphics. Currently, LG is working on a list of officially-supported, 3D-convertible titles, but bear in mind that the link in the converter app is still broken at press time.
So far, external tests with Angry Birds Rio proved to be favorable, with reports of it placing the 3D effects to be on par with the native S3D games that come pre-loaded on the Optimus 3D, albeit your favorite angry feathered friends do see a drop in performance when compared to standard 2D mode. Should the game you’re interested in not be found on LG’s approved 3D list, you can still attempt to force 3D mode on it without any guarantees of safe passage.
No idea on a US release of this update though, making us glance across the pond with envious eyes.
Next Story: KDDI Speaker-Less Android Phone [Hands-On]
- 2014-04-17: LG Lucid 3 From Verizon Announced
- 2014-04-17: LG G3 Design Rumored To Be Pretty Similar To LG G2
- 2014-04-16: AT&T’s LG G Flex Tipped For Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Tomorrow
- 2014-04-16: LG L65 Press Rendering And Specs Leaked
- 2014-04-16: LG Confirms First Mobile Processor Enters Production In The Near Future
- 2011-11-18: Ice Cream Sandwich ported to Samsung Galaxy S2 and LG Optimus 3D
- 2011-11-14: LG Optimus 3D receives enhanced Android 2.3 Gingerbread update
- 2011-09-06: LG reportedly working on Optimus 3D 2
- 2011-06-16: LG Optimus 3D set to ship
- 2011-02-18: LG Optimus 3D smartphone priced and ready to rock the UK