One of the original problems that manufacturers faced with regards to ultrabooks was its price. Intel was pushing for ultrabooks to be priced around the $999 mark and many manufacturers found it quite difficult to achieve those numbers, but given how fast we are advancing in technology and as evidenced by the number of ultrabooks starting to appear in today’s market, it looks like manufacturers have managed to overcome that hurdle. Acer on the other hand, if the rumors are to be believed, may have overcome that hurdle by leaps and bounds.
According to Digitimes’ sources, it looks like Acer has managed to not only stretch what defines an ultrabook with a rumored 15” model, but has managed to manufacturer it at a cost of $699 which falls way below the $999 benchmark. However if you were looking forward to getting your hands on a possible 15” ultrabook from Acer at an affordable price, it seems that the production and ultimately the release of such an ultrabook will depend on how well Acer’s 11” and 13” models sell.
Naturally both Acer and their ODM manufacturer Pegatron declined to comment on this issue, but if the speculators have it right, Acer could be debuting a 15” ultrabook at CES 2012, so do check back with us then to see if this rumor turns out to be true.
- 2014-04-10: Acer Veriton Z2660G AIO Desktop Computer Unveiled
- 2014-04-09: PC Shipments See 4.4% YOY Decline, According To IDC
- 2014-03-30: Acer Sends Out Invites For 29th April Event
- 2014-03-27: Acer Iconia One 7 Primed For A Release
- 2014-03-12: Acer Still Undecided On Windows Phone, Thinks It Needs More Marketing
- 2012-03-13: Acer Aspire Timeline Ultra M3-581TG up for sale early
- 2012-03-06: Acer Aspire Timeline Ultra M3 Ultrabook debuted at CeBIT
- 2012-01-08: Acer Aspire S5 is world's thinnest Ultrabook
- 2012-01-08: Acer Aspire Timeline Ultra goes on for 8 hours
- 2011-12-04: Acer Aspire Ultrabook possible in April 2012