With mirrorless compact system cameras being the trend these days, one has to wonder when will it be Canon’s turn to release a mirrorless system of their own. After all, Olympus has done it and so has Nikon, therefore it wouldn’t really be a stretch of the imagination to see Canon releasing such a camera model in the future.
Well as it turns out rumor has it that Canon could be set to release a mirrorless compact system camera in 2012. This was suggested in an interview with Canon’s managers in a Japanese camera magazine where the topic of mirrorless cameras came up. Based on the interview (which has been translated), Canon appears to be sending mixed signals about their plans for a mirrorless system.
They state that they plan to release such a camera in 2012, but they also mention that they want to “look at the market” before making a decision. They also question the usefulness of mirrorless systems and how it overlaps and might eat into the DSLR and compact camera market. It appears that this is more of a “if” situation rather than a “when”, so we suggest you not get your hopes up for a Canon mirrorless system in 2012. In the meantime we’ll definitely keep our eyes peeled.RELATED
- Alleged Canon EOS M2 Specs Leaked
- Sony Rumored To Be Working On 54MP Full Frame Sensor
- Sony And Hasselblad Rumored To Have Worked On A New Sensor Together
- Sony NEX-7 Successor Rumored For Early 2014 Announcement
- Samsung To Release Next-Gen APS-C Cameras In 2014/2015 [Rumor]
- Follow: Canon, mirrorless camera,
- Seen at: techradar