If you’re in the market for a new USB 3.0 flash drive, Toshiba may have something for you in the form of the TransMemory-EX, a new USB 3.0 developed by the Japanese company with read and write speeds of up to 220MB/s and 94MB/s respectively, or so Toshiba claims. They will be backwards compatible with USB 2.0 ports, although that would result in slower read and write speeds of 34MB/s and 30MB/s respectively.
What makes these particular flash drives different from the competition is its power consumption which Toshiba claims is the lowest in the industry, thanks to the low power ASIC controller and dedicated high speed NAND flash memory.
The Toshiba TransMemory-EX supports Windows ReadyBoost and measures 68.8x21x10.5mm and will weigh 14g. They are expected to start shipping in February although no word if they will be making their way stateside or internationally, and will reportedly cost $102 for the 32GB model and $192 for the 64GB model.
- 2014-04-03: Captain America Saves Your Data, Too
- 2014-04-02: USB Type-C Cable Render Spotted
- 2014-03-28: The iMacompanion Adds A USB Port To The Front Of iMacs
- 2014-03-13: dataSTICKIES Concept USB Flash Drive
- 2014-03-10: Aleratec Cruiser Mini Portable Makes Short Work Of USB Flash Drive Duplication
- 2011-09-30: Super Talent USB 3.0 Storage POD Enclosure
- 2011-09-27: Buffalo MiniStation Extreme and DriveStation Axis Velocity external hard drives
- 2011-09-26: Toshiba refreshes Canvio 3.0, Canvio Basics 3.0 external hard drives
- 2011-08-19: Phottix Turbo USB 3.0 Ultra Speed Card Reader available
- 2010-01-26: Century Japan USB 3.0 HDD Stage Rack