“Soon” is a relative word, and iOS 5.0.1 hacker extraordinaire pod2g did use this particular word to describe the long awaited iPad 2 and iPhone 4S jailbreak – and has done so for one fortnight or so already, and this morning, pod2g’s latest blog post reads that the jailbreak will roll out in a matter of hours thanks to a tool known as Absinthe. I am not quite sure whether Absinthe for the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 will result in some mind numbing effects for users who jailbreak their respective devices, but considering how it is named after one of the more potent alcoholic beverages out there, perhaps pod2g did take a swig or two during the programming and coding process.
According to pod2g, “A tool named Absinthe and developped by the Chronic Dev Team will install the untether on your device. Also the iPhone Dev Team will release a CLI (command line) tool to help diagnose issues and repair things if it goes wrong. This is a little scary I know, but the chance you break something is really small, since we made lots of tests to verify the process on different devices. But it is the first time we use the backup/restore functions of iTunes to install software, and there are maybe things we are not aware of. As you already know, different security researchers put a lot of energy to work out the different issues we had to install the untether on new devices.”
If you happen to own an iPhone 4S that runs on iOS 5.0, 5.0.1 (9A405 and 9A406) or the iPad 2 WiFi/GSM/CDMA that runs oniOS 5.0.1, they will merrily have a drink with Absinthe.
Update: Absinthe, an untether installer for the iPhone 4S and iPad 2, was just released, and you can download it here. Just take note that the greenpois0n blog is under heavy load, and that makes perfect sense considering the amount of attention Absinthe has received, so do be patient if you experienced any time outs. Anyone given Absinthe a go already, and this is one great way to end the work week, don’t you think so?
- 2014-02-13: iPad 2 Production Reportedly Nearing Its End
- 2013-10-21: iPad 2 Is Still Apple's Most Widely Used Tablet
- 2013-04-23: Refurbished iPad 2 And iPad 3 Prices Slashed By Apple
- 2013-02-07: FullForce Jailbreak Tweak Stretches Out iPhone 4/4S Apps For The iPhone 5
- 2012-11-30: 7 Chinese Jailed In "Kidney For iPad" Trial
- 2012-10-22: Apple rumored to phase out iPad 2 after iPad mini goes on sale
- 2012-03-07: Samsung launches new lawsuit against Apple in South Korea
- 2012-01-24: Absinthe A5 untethered jailbreak nearly touches 1 million in 3 days
- 2012-01-20: Corona A5 jailbreak for iPhone 4S, iPad 2 almost good to go
- 2012-01-18: iPad 2 iOS 5 jailbreak almost here (updated)