The White House is a symbol of power, and is the official residence of the most powerful man in the world. Well, it seems that keeping in touch with a nation of 300 million or so people is important, so what better way to reach out to them than through the Internet – a social network, in this case? The White House has its own Google+ page that opened to the masses earlier this morning, and it has seen a rapid expansion of its circles to over 1,300 within a few hours. Apart from using this page to issue statements from the nation’s administrative branch, there will also be behind-the-scenes photos and videos uploaded from time to time, in addition to Google Hangouts with staff. You will find an excerpt from the White House Google+ page right after the jump.
Welcome to the White House on Google+! Here you’ll find news from the blog, behind-the-scenes photos and videos, plus chances to engage with administration officials. One feature we’re really excited about are Hangouts. On our Google+ page, we’ll host regular White House Hangouts with administration officials on topics ranging from the economy to technology. Some Google+ users will be invited to join the Hangout with the White House and have a conversation with policy experts. But the best part is that even if you’re not “in” the Hangout, you can watch the whole thing live on WhiteHouse.gov, on our Google+ page or on the White House YouTube channel.
- 2014-04-16: Google Offering $100,000 For Best Project Ara Module
- 2014-04-16: Possible Redesigned Google+ App For Android Spotted
- 2014-04-16: Google Develops Algorithm That Can Decipher Its Own CAPTCHAs
- 2014-04-16: Google Launches Standalone Camera App For Android
- 2014-04-16: Chrome Remote Desktop Hits Mobile Devices
- 2012-03-28: Google+ Hangout Apps Finally Ready for Use
- 2011-12-28: Google+ zips past 62 million users
- 2011-12-26: Google Circles: a new social push from Google, coming up?
- 2011-12-02: Alibaba to launch its own Google+ like social network
- 2011-10-10: Google+ Traffic Dives by more than 50% [Chitika]