Ah, to own a Beemer – that is the dream car for many an aspiring yuppie, and I believe that it will continue to be so for a long time to come. After all, there is nothing quite like the feeling of shifting your gear stick in a manual transmission. It might seem as though BMW is moving towards a future with less and less manual offerings, but the latest patent spotted points toward the availability of a BMW 7-speed manual transmission design.
A patent that was filed by BMW last year pointed towards the possibility of the German company looking at a manual transmission that has 7 (or more) gears that might offer better fuel economy. BMW intends to implement this new manual transmission through the Traditional Manual Transmission (with a clutch pedal) method or through the Shift by Wire (without a clutch pedal) method.
Time will tell just which route BMW will take.
- 2014-04-20 Sony Patents Self-Washing Robot
- 2014-04-20 Microsoft Patents Kinect-like Feature For Future Smartphones/Tablets
- 2014-04-15 Samsung Patent Reveals Earphone With Heads Up Display
- 2014-04-10 BMW OLED Laser Lights To Shape The Future Of Vehicle Lighting Systems
- 2014-04-10 Samsung Intends To Trademark Gear Now And Gear Solo In The US
- 2014-04-01 Apple Patent Describes iPhone With Bayonet Camera Lens Mount