In case you didn’t know, Google recently released an update for its Google Maps app for Android. The APK version 6.8 now has new features including the capability to see reviews from experts and people, find the right places using Zagat scores and summaries, and get directions directly from map bubbles. But the folks over at Android Police found something more interesting – a set of unreleased features included in the APK. I admit I wasn’t able to check the APK on my Android phone, but judging from the photo above taken by the publication, it seems that a timeline feature is underway.
Found inside the new APK are files that have the word timeline on them – i.e. “timeline_work.mid.9.png” or “timeline_work.home.only.9.png”. Android Police also noted that the XML references to the images (.png) have names like “list_item_travel_history_segment.xml” for example, which reportedly suggests that it will be for a location history feature. Interestingly, some files also had names like “latitude_migrate_to_circles_welcome_dialog.xml” that sounds like a feature for Google+ Circles. Of course, we’re only speculating based on minute details that can even mean something else. So, let’s just wait and see what Google Maps version 6.9 will bring in the near future.
- 2014-04-16: Possible Redesigned Google+ App For Android Spotted
- 2014-04-15: Google Glass Android 4.4 KitKat Update Arrives
- 2014-04-15: Line Messaging App Announces New Sticons Feature
- 2014-04-13: Google Redesigning Android App Icons [Rumor]
- 2014-04-10: Age Of Empires: World Domination Greets iOS, Android And Windows Phone Platforms This Year
- 2013-12-12: Google Maps iOS And Android Apps Updated With Gmail Integration
- 2012-12-03: Android Apps Get Vector Maps In New Google API
- 2012-09-20: All your Google Maps are belong to us
- 2012-08-15: Google Maps gets more public transportation schedules worldwide
- 2012-07-10: Google Maps now guides you through museums