Remember our story at the end of last month, where speculation surrounded the demise of the yet unreleased SmartDock from Sony? Apparently, a classic case of the phoenix rising up from its ashes is applied here (with a little bit of creative liberty, of course), where Sony Mobile has announced that there is still going to be a dedicated docking station for the Sony Xperia P – although this time around, it is not called the SmartDock, but rather, it will be getting a name change and shall henceforth be known as the Xperia P TV Dock. The thing is, will a name change be the only difference? Apparently not, as the pair of USB 2.0 ports have been removed, leaving HDMI output all alone to hook it up to your TV.
Since USB connectivity is missing, Sony threw in Bluetooth support instead for you to hook up a compatible keyboard and mouse in order to enhance your user experience on the big screen. Granted, most devices these days come with Bluetooth connectivity, but it would be nice to see Sony retain at least a solitary USB port just in case some of us have not bothered to upgrade out peripherals to move into the wireless era. Needless to say, some of us who have heard of this news are less than happy about the lack of USB connectivity. How about you?
- 2014-04-17: Next PlayStation Might Be Service Oriented
- 2014-04-17: Xperia Z, ZL, ZR And Tablet Z Receive Android 4.4 Next Month
- 2014-04-17: PS4 Update 1.70 To Feature SHAREfactory
- 2014-04-16: Sony Has Difficulty Meeting Demand For The PS4
- 2014-04-16: Sony's PS4 Sales Crosses The 7 Million Mark
- 2013-03-28: Sony Xperia P Jelly Bean Screenshot Leaked
- 2012-11-12: Sony giving away a limited edition 24K gold Xperia P smartphone
- 2012-08-17: Android 4.0 ICS rolling out to the Sony Xperia P today
- 2012-08-06: Sony Xperia P to receive Android 4.0 ICS 19-25 August, according to Sony Mobile India
- 2012-07-16: Sony delivers Xperia S, Xperia P and Xperia U smartphones to the US