Today, Verizon is announcing the creation of 4G Venture Forum for Connected Cars. Joining the giant carrier are a group of leading global automotive companies brought together by Verizon to reportedly accelerate the pace of innovation across the automotive and telematics 4G LTE ecosystem. Members of the forum are automakers BMW, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, and Kia. Verizon also said that Massachusetts Institute of Technology Professor Sanjay Sarma will also be joining in to track important advancements in related academic research. Essentially, the 4G Venture Forum for Connected Cars will be figuring out ways to deliver connectivity to vehicles of all types. To do this, Verizon explained that it will leverage open standards and discuss many ways to accelerate development of the 4G LTE ecosystem.
Verizon’s Chief Marketing Officer Tami Erwin said that safe driving, advancing vehicle-to-vehicle solutions, and improving sustainability are among the many challenges of telematics. “As an innovator in the technology industry, Verizon is a natural impetus for this collaboration, which we all expect will include other companies and spur results that will benefit not only the industry, but millions of consumers around the world,” he added. Verizon believes that telematics is a great opportunity to integrate telecommunications and information into vehicles to provide services including cloud-connected solutions and mobile applications to both drivers and passengers.
- 2014-04-15: Verizon Galaxy S5 Sale On Amazon Kicks Off
- 2014-04-14: Verizon More Everything Plan Now Offer Greater Savings
- 2014-04-13: TWRP Recovery For HTC One M8 On Verizon Released
- 2014-04-11: Galaxy S5 PayPal Fingerprint Support Disabled By Verizon
- 2014-04-10: Verizon Strikes Back With Free Tablet Data Offer
- 2013-12-05: Verizon 4G LTE Network Connectivity Improved In Selected Areas
- 2013-04-11: Verizon CEO Claims He Convinced Steve Jobs To Include LTE In The iPhone
- 2012-11-21: LTE Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 now available from Verizon
- 2012-11-09: Verizon expected to complete LTE rollout mid-2013
- 2012-10-11: Verizon to sunset 2G and 3G CDMA networks by 2021 [Updated]