Dell unveiled Project Sputnik in May this year with the goal of developing a laptop for developers. Today, the Texas-based tech company is announcing that the said developer laptop will be arriving in fall this year. Dell’s announcement today takes Project Sputnik from a mere concept into an official Dell product. Via press release, the company said that the laptop will be based on the Dell XPS 13 with Ubuntu 12.04LTS pre-loaded on it.
The laptop promises to offer a complete client-to-cloud solution for developers, allowing them to create “microclouds” on their laptops. “Since we announced project Sputnik a little over two months ago, we have continued to be amazed by the amount and quality of interest and input we have received,” said Barton George, Project Sputnik Lead and Director of Web Vertical Marketing at Dell. “By listening to developers, Dell can provide them with solutions and products to help make them more productive and allow for greater innovation.”
- 2014-04-09: PC Shipments See 4.4% YOY Decline, According To IDC
- 2014-04-02: Dell Latitude 12 Rugged Extreme Does Both Tablet And Notebook Dances
- 2014-03-26: Microsoft And Dell Agree To License Each Other's Patents
- 2014-03-23: Dell Venue 8 Pro Receives New BIOS Update
- 2014-03-07: The Dell Precision M2800 Has An Affordable Price Tag