We’ve talked about the Atrix HD leaks last week but Motorola has revealed the final specifications of the latest handset from the powerful “Atrix” family of smartphones. On the surface, the Atrix HD keeps the family traits and has a familiar look and feel, but with an updated smooth and curvy design.
However, there are some serious upgrades under the hood. First of all, Motorola as opted for a fast Qualcomm Snapdragon chip cadenced at 1.5GHz (1GB of RAM). Although Motorola would not say which one it is, we suspect that it is the S4 variant, which we have seen before in other high-end Android phones. It also comes with Android 4.0 aka Ice Cream Sandwich, which has been much improved since the Android version 2.x used in the previous version of the Atrix.
With a capacity of 1780mAh, the battery seems a bit small these days as competitors often feature 2000mAh batteries, and Motorola’s own RAZR Maxx has a gigantic 3200mAh battery. That said, sheer capacity also has to be paired with software optimizations, so we will need to test this in the real world to see what the Atrix HD has to offer.
Externally, the display is the most important upgrade as it reaches 720×1280 pixels. The type of display is LCD (vs OLED), but we’re looking forward to seeing how Motorola ColorBoost manages color reproduction and image quality.
Android 4.0. (Ice Cream Sandwich)
Size/Dimensions: 69.9mm (x), 133.5mm (y), 8.4mm (z)
Display 4.5” HD ColorBoost™, 720×1280 TFT (330 PPI)
Weight 140 grams
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon Dual-core 1.5 GHz
Battery 1780 mAh (embedded)
GSM 850/900/1800/1900 LTE Bands 4,17; HSPA+ Category 14
Connectivity: 3.5mm, USB 2.0, HDMI
Bluetooth 2, Stereo Bluetooth Class 2; Version 4.0 LE
Camera: Rear-facing 8 MP auto-focus camera with zero shutter lag, 720p HD front-facing webcam
Audio: AAC, AAC+, AAC+ Enhanced, AMR NB, AMR WB, MIDI, MP3, WAV, WMA v10, WMA v9
Video: 1080p HD Capture/Playback 30 fps with stabilization, H.264, MPEG4
Storage: microSD (32GB max)
WLAN: 802.11 a/b/g/n
Location Services: aGPS (assisted), eCompass
- 2014-04-14: 2012 Droid Family To Get Android 4.4 KitKat In The Near Future
- 2014-04-08: First Working Project Ara Prototype To Be Ready This Month
- 2014-04-06: Leather Could Be An Option For Next-Gen Moto X [Rumor]
- 2014-04-06: Moto X Successor Might Be Called Moto X + 1
- 2014-04-02: The Moto G Forte Is Actually The Moto G With A Grip Shell Case
- 2012-02-15: Motorola Atrix receives new update
- 2011-09-22: Motorola Atrix 2 caught in the wild again
- 2011-04-05: Motorola Xoom and Atrix sales are disappointing
- 2011-03-17: Motorola Atrix and Xoom rumored to land on Sprint
- 2011-01-24: Motorola Atrix 4G laptop dock to cost $150?